Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Question

I had this great, improptu conversation with my 60 + year old neighbor this evening, one which made me feel very driven.  We were talking about the job market and how difficult it is for young people to find stability today.  He mentioned how he "grew" into a company as a young man, one that provided him with stability, education, and security.  I told him how I paid for my college (twice) and still work without benefits.  He said to me, "you know where it all went wrong?"  Of course, my own first reaction was a response about politics and corporations, to which he said "no, it's family.  People value things over family anymore." 
  I'm not naive enough to think that family dynamics aren't skewed and estranged these days but... "family" is a concept.  We all have family.  When I was in college, and I lived miles from home, I found "family" in the art department- working till wee hours to achieve a collective goal.  Now that I have my own "family" consisting of a husband, a step son who is miles away, three furry children and two handfuls of people who share common goals and values, I can say that it is them who give me purpose and strength.
   I hope that this Thanksgiving, everyone will take time for a family, old or new.  I believe in my heart of hearts that we are all family, able to be open, accepting and valuable to one another.  I love you MOB Family- Happy Thanksgiving!
-RAHBeck
PS- DON'T FORGET THE CAMERA- OCCUPY THANKS PHOTOS MAKE MUCH BETTER MEMORIES THAN THAT GAME OF MONOPOLY (well... play the monopoly too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment