Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Insatiable Urge to DO SOMETHING!

Hello MOB Community!  I want to take a moment to thank Casey Janowski for all of her support and hard work handling all of our web communication!  Anyhow, to the point...
It was three years ago that I found myself really yearning and wishing for a place where, as a visual artist, I could find like minded people, with diverse opinions to surround myself with.  Living in a transient, tourist community heavily operated by HOA's, corporate institutions, and citizens who are engrossed in "the beach life" has it's ups and downs.  The down side is that we sometimes are disillusioned by the scenery and we forget stay active and involved with what the world is becoming and what we can do to help it positively progress.  The up side is that I am surrounded with solutions, with people who want to make the world a better place, and with resources to make things happen!
  Short of starting a revolution (which is my natural, young spirited reaction to societal issues)  I decided to look at what has been keeping me still for so many years.  In this I found that my hesitance to make change was coming from a society that dictates to me HOW I am allowed to do so.  I found myself wanting to give but having little time while working and having less means than most organizations ask for as a minimum donation.  I was also tired of volunteering for the same old "hum drum" which consisted of rehashed charity events full of pasta dinners and hand outs with no FUN!  I was also so tired of reading about non profit egos, corruption, and lack of respect to fresh ideas.  So, I decided, like many philanthropists, that I was going to start something different... My Own Backyard is not MY dream but, EVERYONE'S dream.
  YOU CAN SAY I'M A DREAMER but...
   I believe that the only thing keeping our world from being self sustaining is COMMUNITY!  I realize that we are all VERY different, that we all have different priorities and agendas but, I also believe that NO ONE is ALONE in their desires or passions NOR in their time of need or struggles!  To me, a community means simply: a group of people who agree to disagree in order to make a place where we can all operate in a manner of respect and happiness.  In order to find this utopia, I first believe that these rules MUST be followed:
- Realization of what you want as an individual, what you need to be happy, and what you are willing to sacrifice to make that happen.
-Respect that not everyone has the same goals and the realization of what you will accept and won't
-Realization of your environment and knowing whether you are the odd ball out or THEY are
- CHOICE to remain in that environment and not expect the world to cater to you but, to accept your world and make it a strong place to live in!

I believe that we all have one thing in common:  a need to be loved and understood.  That said, we really aren't that different- are we?   Though "love" comes in a multitude of acceptable packages, we can all associate being loved when a neighbor says hello or lends a hand.

What is COMMUNITY SUSTAINABILITY to MY OWN BACKYARD?  A community becomes self sufficient when we all agree on our shortcomings, recognize what we can do to fix the problems, and work together in a modest way to move forward.  In order for the communities of the present to become more sustainable, we have to look beyond corporate gain, government dictation of what we are allowed to have, and develop ways that we, as a community can achieve success while allowing individuals to strive toward their ultimate goals.  This means simply:  maximizing our resources!
   There are so many opportunities in our current environment to make progress from untapped resources and, all the while, have a good time doing it!  Creative minds have brought our society into it's prime.  We are no longer limited by transportation or slow communication.  We have everything we need to be strong RIGHT IN OUR OWN BACKYARDS! 
    In many countries today, groups of people with little means to strive have developed businesses using their talents and artistic skills.  We are society of green friendly, recyclable objects.  A society of individuals with vast knowledge of many special interests.  We are a community of people who can make, and develop objects and events that have a mass appeal to the world. 
THE IS ALOT TO BE GAINED FROM A WHOLE LOT OF LITTLE...
   So, I developed a way that people could give just a little, that when combined, will make a whole lot of difference.  My Own Backyard is dedicated to lifting up each community's small sources of giving such as already operating non profits and organizations by acting as an extension of their already hectic fundraising missions.  By hosting projects like $1.20 or our online, artist collaborative sales, we are generating support for local organizations, creating a multitude of awarness, and engaging the community in unique activities.  It is our priority to promote and encourage local community to support small, local businesses such as local artists, musicians, performers, boutiques, builders, designers and other services. 
   It is my hope that someday every community will have a chapter of My Own Backyard (or something similar) that will become the center of community awarness and interaction!  I encourage everyone to get involved- ego free doing!  So, please contact us.  Tell us what you would like to see happen in your community, what you are doing, anything interesting that the world needs to know.
TOGETHER, WE ARE STRONG!   Stop. Think. Record. Pass Along.  Move Forward. Be Well - Rachel Harris-Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment